Saturday, March 25, 2006

Now and Then… (Sketch)

(Mother’s Day 2006)

In the form of a Radio play
(same cast, baby cry and heartbeat, for all parts)

Announcer: "The first part of the 21st Century"
(during sounds of a baby crying, with road-drill, traffic, planes etc., cast file on in order from opposite side from the announcer, carrying chairs with their dressing-gowns over. they line up behind the microphones, put down the chairs and stand in front of them facing the audience. when ready - ) "And before you know it…."

Boy: (steps forward) "Hey Mum. I’m off to school now. I’ll probably go round to Tom’s house after - but I’ll be back for tea." (steps back - rest of cast do the same in turn to deliver their lines)

Youth: "Mum. Can I borrow Dad’s car? I’m just going to help Amy move in to her new flat. Keep some tea for me. I don’t mind warming it up."

Young Man: "I’m out with my army mates, Mum. Don’t worry about lunch, We’ll probably arrange a fish and chips supper"

Man: "Mum. I’ve got my posting . I’m going to [insert current unrest here]. It’s my last meal at the barracks tonight. I’ll be back when the job’s done" (steps back and ALL of the cast turn their backs on the audience.)

(sounds of a heartbeat with gun fire, hellicopters, bombs etc. when finished ALL of cast turn back to face the audience.)

Man: (steps forward) "Home again, Mum - but just for a while. Off for more training. I’ve also got the wedding to sort out. Jordan’s going to look in on you from time to time as you may not hear from me for a while, but when I come back next time it’ll be for good!" (steps back)

(pause)

Announcer: "Flash back, to the first part of the 1st Century" (cast look at each other. Announcer repeats and emphasises) "The first part of the FIRST century"
(cast put on dressing-gowns as sounds of a baby crying with sheep & lambs bleating, cattle lowing, dog barking and donkey braying etc. when finished) "And before you know it…"

Boy: (steps forward) "Shalom Mother. I’m off to the temple now. I’ll probably talk to the elders after - but I’ll be back for tea." (steps back - rest of cast do the same to deliver their lines)

Youth: "Mother. Can I borrow Father’s tool kit? I’m just going to help Miriam with that cabinet door that keeps breaking. Keep some tea for me. I don’t mind it hot or cold, as long as it’s not luke-warm."

Young Man: "I’m out with my Disciples, Mother. Don’t worry about lunch. I’ve arranged a fish and bread supper"

Man: "Mother. I have to fulfil my destiny. I’m going to die on the Cross. It’s my last Pass-over meal tonight. I will be back when my work has finished" (steps back and ALL of the cast turn their backs on the audience.)

(sounds of a heartbeat, the hammering of nails. heartbeat stops. sound of a thunderclap, then a wind and a woman crying. when finished, only the Man turns and faces the audience)

Man: (steps forward) "The tomb is empty, Mother - but I am only here for a short while. I am returning to my father’s house to prepare for my bride. I have asked John to take care of you as you may not hear from me for a while, but when I come back next time, it will be to gather all of those who have believed in me and take them to my Kingdom, forever!" (steps back. turns his back.)

(pause. all cast pick up chairs and file off the way they came on.)

No comments: